Sunday, January 18, 2009

Understanding the Pre-Natal Pelvic Separation Without Dabbling in Proctology


Kinsa, my Peruvian guinea pig, is pregnant. The story of how she got pregnant is a long one, but the good news is that she is not too old or too young and I have plenty of room for her babies when they are born. About 48 hours before a guinea pig goes into labor, her pelvic bones are supposed to separate about a finger's width or two. Apparently, you can actually feel this separation and it is a good idea to check her butt in the last week of pregnancy so you can be sure that everything is going normally.

Well, I had some issues trying to figure out what this separation felt like and despite reading all kinds of descriptions on the internet, I was still pretty confused. So... I am pasting in an email exchange that I had with my brilliant breeder friend, Sheryl Newland, which should clear everything up for anybody who needs help understanding it.

-----

to: sheryl
from: me

sheryl!!!!!

this morning i did the routine feeling of my guinea pig's butt and i have felt a separation!!!! but the problem is i don't really know what a real separation feels like.... at this point i can basically stick the tip of my finger in this hole that seems to have formed... i tried sticking my finger in the same spot in my other guinea pigs and there is no space!!!

what does this mean!?!?!

are these the beginnings of a pelvic separation??

this hole is right underneath her tail....

does this mean she has a ton of babies in there??? if it is a separation, will they be premature??


to: me
from: sheryl

this hole......
no, it isn't a hole that you feel.
it's the lower part of the pubic bone in the front of the animal. like yours.
where your pubic hairs are. you reach underneath the pig in front of the vulva and feel on the outside of her where the bones are inside. hard to explain.
you don't stick a finger in any hole.
usually the bones are together. when they have seperated then you can put about half of the finger width between them, on the outside.

maybe you have to come over and have me show you?


to: sheryl
from: me

oooh.. i see what you mean... man, i'm sorry.. i'm going a little whacko.. ok i will let you know when the pelvic bones actually separate...

lol... she is probably hating me right now for sticking my fingers in her butt!!!

i'd better go read some of those buddhist books and relax.


to: me
from: sheryl

this is too funny!
maybe you missed your calling? you should have been a proctologist?

8 comments:

  1. i still dont understand %(asshole

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I'm still confused at least I can tell my daughter to stop poking the poor thing in the butt! We can feel and see the babies (appears to be 3) moving and she is getting very big, very fast. We'd been told both were girls when we purchased them - oops! Now we will have babies! We now have them in their own cages and let them visit while supervised as they miss each other and cry out for one another. She is keeping to herself mostly and makes nests in her igloo. She isn't eating pellets much but likes oranges for the extra vitamin c. Sounds like she is going to have the babies soon but we can't tell. Can you from what I've told you? Also, are those piggies in your pics in the snow? Very cute tho' I didn't think they would like snow. Any help/suggestions are welcomed. Thank you-Leena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I'm pretty sure my guinea pig is going to litter down any time now! For other researchers, I found this page really useful: http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/pregnancy.htm
    It explains in a bit more detail how to find your guinea pig's pelvic bones, amoung other things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Maybe you missed your calling? you should have been a proctologist?"
    I lost my shit at that. Scared everyone in the room I busted out laughing so loud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a sow that is in pups when I got her,she is 1 finger pelvic bones separate today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Help, I have a sow that is in pups when I got her she 1 finger pelvic bones separate today when will she give birth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My guinea pig is due she is one finger separated tell me will she have them soon

    ReplyDelete